54EC Capital Gain Bonds
54EC bonds, or capital gains bonds, are one of the best way to save long-term capital gain tax. 54EC bonds are specifically meant for investors earning long-term capital gains and would like tax exemption on these gains. Tax deduction is available under section 54EC of the Income Tax Act. 54EC bonds do not allow any tax exemption on short-term capital gains tax. Invest in 54EC bonds to get benefits of tax deduction. The maximum limit for investing in 54EC bonds is Rs. 50,00,000. The eligible bonds under Section 54EC are REC (Rural Electrification Corporation Ltd), PFC (Power Finance Corporation Ltd) and NHAI (National Highways Authority of India) and IRFC (Indian Railways Finance Corporation Limited).
Key Features of 54EC Bonds
54EC bonds are popular investment instruments as investing in 54EC bonds allows investors to claim tax deductions on long-term capital gains. 54EC bonds also offer other features.
- Safe and Secure: 54EC bonds are AAA rated.
- Interest: Interest on 54EC bonds is taxable. No TDS is deducted on interest from 54EC bonds and wealth tax is exempted.
- Tenure: 54EC bonds come with a lock-in period of 5 years (effective from April 2018) and are non-transferable.
- Investment amount: Minimum investment in 54EC bonds is 1 bond amounting to Rs. 10,000 and the maximum investment in 54EC bonds is 500 bonds amounting to Rs 50 lakhs in a financial year.
- Interest Rate: 54EC bonds offer 5% rate of interest payable annually.
Key Benefits of 54EC Bonds
Individuals as well as members of HUF can make investments in 54EC bonds. You should invest in 54EC bonds within 6 months of transferring capital asset. Take a look at the benefits of investing in 54EC bonds.
- Save Tax: Long-term capital gains from investments in 54EC bonds or sale of 54EC bonds can be reinvested in order to save tax.
- Security: 54EC bonds are backed by the government, hence the risk factor associated with buying 54EC bonds is mitigated.
- Earn & Save: Investing in 54EC bonds allows you to save tax while earning interest income from the 54EC bonds.
- User Preference: 54EC Bonds can be held in either demat or physical form.
Bonds offered under sec 54EC
With effect from FY 2018-19, benefit of investing in 54EC bonds would be available on sale of land or building (residential or commercial). The capital gains 54EC bonds eligible for tax deductions can be issued only by REC (Rural Electrification Corporation Ltd), PFC (Power Finance Corporation Ltd) and NHAI (National Highways Authority of India). Avail the opportunity to invest in 54EC bonds to gain tax deductions.